Collecting missed deliveries Found an ‘item awaiting collection’ card in your mailbox? You’ll find information on how and where to collect your item on the card, but here are some alternatives which may be more convenient.
Options for items waiting collection at a post office
Sometimes you’re not around when we drop by with a parcel. If you’re not there and an item needs your signature, or there’s no safe place to leave it1, we take it to a nearby post office.
The post office will hang onto parcels and letters for 10 business days before they get returned to sender. If you can’t get there in time, you have the option of getting someone else to collect the item on your behalf; or you can transfer it to another post office closer to work or school for a flat fee.
Get someone else to collect it
To arrange for someone else to collect your item from a post office, choose one of the following options:
- Send someone who lives with you and has ID with your same address
- Complete the ‘collection authorisation’ section on your notification card and have the person take it to the post office, along with their ID
- Complete a letter of authority form (84kb) for the person to print and present at the post office, along with their ID
Transfer your item to another post office
If your item has already arrived at a post office, complete a transfer form to send it to another post office for a flat rate of $6.25.
Tired of missed deliveries?
- Give us the okay to leave parcels in a safe place when you’re not home (‘Safe Drop’)
- Get your parcels shipped directly to a post office, using a unique address
- Collect your parcels from a 24/7 Parcel Locker secure storage space any time, day or night – for free
- Change the delivery address while your item is on its way
- Parcel delivery is dependent upon how an item is addressed, the location of a property, and Australia Post operational requirements for security and occupational health and safety.
- Australia Post will card or deliver parcels according to the following methods:
- delivery to the door
- street delivery into a mail box with an approved size, location and number
- delivery over the counter at a Post Office
- roadside delivery into a mail box with an approved size, location and number
- a Post Office box, locked bag, private mail bag or community bag
- Safe Drop terms and conditions apply. Not all deliveries are eligible for Safe Drop, but when it is available, we’ll let you know via email or in your MyPost track list. If you choose to use this free service, we’ll simply pop your item in a safe spot outside the delivery address.
- Parcel Collect terms and conditions apply
- Charges apply if you want to change your delivery address. Service only available for parcels in transit, when the sender has used eParcel or MyPost Business for domestic delivery and included your registered email address or MyPost customer number in their shipping information.
- You have 48 hours to collect your parcel once it has arrived at a Parcel Locker or Parcel Collect (Post Office) location. Post Offices will accept parcels up to 22kg and not greater than 105 cm in one dimension. Letters and standard mail that can be delivered to your letterbox, including Express Post letters, will not be accepted. Please refer to the full Parcel Locker terms and conditions for further details.